Separatist protestors caused chaos on Catalonia's roads and rail systems again on Wednesday, as thousands of demonstrators blocked roads and motorways throughout the day across the region, and invaded train tracks.
Spanish rail operator Renfe confirmed to The Spain Report late on Wednesday evening that more than 150,000 passengers had been affected by two track invasions at AVE high-speed stations in Gerona and Barcelona, as well as blockades at least another 10 stations across the region.
Protestors invaded the tracks in Gerona at 8:45 a.m., after breaking through police lines both outside and inside the station, and at Barcelona Sants station at 5:45 p.m. Passengers were disembarked from two AVE trains stuck on arrival to Barcelona station.
Spanish track operator Adif told The Spain Report it had no idea when normal AVE service in Catalonia would be resumed due to the ongoing protests. High-speed trains from Madrid were stopped at Tarragona and those from France at Figueras.
Renfe later confirmed, at 10:25 p.m., that service had been restored and that there were no longer any protestors on the tracks.
Adif explained the protestors were not in any danger on the tracks, unless they were carrying banners that might reach up the three metres to the overhead cables that carry the electrical power for the high-speed trains.
Those cables carry more than 25.000 volts, and the power was cut off briefly at the Gerona AVE station earlier today because one group of protestors was spotted with a banner held aloft.
Catalan transport authorities said that up to 70 blockades had been present on roads across the region this morning, falling to 19 by around 8 p.m.
Images posted throughout the day on social media, and broadcast on TV, showed thousands of cars and lorries backed up on motorways often blocked by only a few dozen protestors.
Some scuffles between separatist protestors and other citizens trying to get to or from work were recorded.
Later on Wednesday evening, dozens of riot squad vans turned up at La Jonquera on the French border, after protestors blocked traffic there.
Separatist groups known as CDRs ("Referendum Defence Committees") had rallied on Twitter and Telegram in the afternoon, calling on supporters to block border roads and dividing up the different border protest posts between local groups.
The Catalan Police (Mossos) told The Spain Report that no arrests had been made in relation to the protests on Wednesday.
The Mossos would not confirm either any operational details about ongoing attempts to unblock roads or any details about who had ultimately been responsible for protest policing on Wednesday, whether the Mossos or the Spanish Home Office.
The central government's office described a low overall turnout for the strike, and that coordination between the police services had been "exemplary" in order to avoid "even more negative consequences because of protests by radicals".
"There were no major incidents", said a statement, besides the use of some "minimum essential force" by some Catalan Police officers.
The government also said electricity use had not indicated a large overall participation in the strike: there was a 3% surge today compared to yesterday, but an 8.3% drop on October 3, the day the last major region-wide protests were held.
At 10 p.m., separatist groups continued to post images of ongoing protests and messages of support for their colleagues still occupying train tracks or roads near the French border.
"Some colleagues are still working at the borders to defend the Republic!", wrote one group on Telegram.
The Catalan National Assembly (ANC) labelled the day a "resounding success": "we have closed it all!".