Carles Puigdemont and the four former regional ministers with him in Brussels have now been detained for 24 hours while they wait for a preliminary European Arrest Warrant hearing before the duty judge, a spokesman for the Belgian prosecutor's office confirmed during a press conference shortly after 2 p.m.

Mr. Puigdemont and the other four—Clara Ponsatí (education), Toni Comín (health), Lluís Puig (culture) and Meritxell Serret (agriculture)—handed themselves in to police at 9:17 a.m. this morning, after agreeing via the Belgian prosecutor to do so. The spokesman said the five had stuck to that arrangement.

The 24-hour detention period, related to the European Arrest Warrant, will run through to 9:17 a.m. on Monday morning.

Those hearings—which will be individual and carried out in the presence of each of the accused's lawyer—will take place on Sunday evening, with no news of their outcome likely before 8 p.m.

Any further decision on the continued detention of the five pending a final decision on the arrest warrants themselves is now solely a matter for the judge, said the spokesman.

Published: 11:51 pm, Nov 05 2017 (link)

Puigdemont And Former Regional Ministers Bailed Pending Warrant Decision

A judge in Brussels decided to release Carles Puigdemont and four former Catalan regional ministers on bail on Sunday night, pending a final decision on the European Arrest Warrants issued by a judge in Madrid on Friday.

The Spanish lawyer of two of the accused, Gonzalo Boye, broke the news on a late-night TV news show on La Sexta. The Belgian lawyer of Mr. Puigdemont, Paul Bekaert, left the court building but did not make any statements to reporters.

The five had been detained by the Belgian prosecutor at 9.17 a.m. on Sunday morning as part of the European Arrest Warrant procedure.

The bail conditions imposed by the Belgian judge were not immediately clear.